Friday, 20 February 2015

Important Notes for review and extended due date

Hello 12s,


  • In an effort to foster improved effort and outcomes on your part, last block  I re-presented content needed to help you with your literary responses. 
  • You should now have assignments 2A and 2B in your possession and will be re-editing them in light of the discussion in class. Submit these two assignments next class. (Feb.23/24) 
  • To reiterate , I will no longer mark assignments that are submitted not ,at least, attempting proper paragraphing format. You will receive a mark of 0 for such submissions.

What follows below is review from, really term one, but it is here for you again with additional discussion notes stemming from our last class. 

Literary Response:

  • Formal Diction -Avoid using first person 'I think'
  • Answer the question as your thesis.
  • TAG
  • Literary present verb tense- ex. At the beginning Kate is taunted. Later, when she returns, she exacts her revenge.

Quotations:

Set the stage - Who is speaking?
                      - To whom?
                      - To what are they referring?
                      - Why is this quote here?
Quotes are used only when they support your thesis and topic sentence.

Grammar - Should flow in terms of verb tense and pronoun [he][she] and number agreement.
Ex: Upset at her father, Kate declares, "I will go and weep until I have occasion for revenge" (cite)
Ex:Kate is upset; she says she will "go and weep until [she] has occasion for revenge." (cite)

Elipsis (...) - Use judiciously.
  •  If there is text early you need and it matches up with text later on in the play to ably support your assertion.  
  • Must remain grammatically correct
  • What is lost in the ellipsis was not needed!
  •  Must make logical and grammatical sense.

Wizzbang

Thesis - ex. They are flirting aggressively.

Topic sentence - ex. Petruchio begins in a sweet yet overly familiar tone. 

Quotational/referential support- A well chosen quote that meets the criteria detailed above.

Discussion - analysis - Demonstrates how your evidence supports your topic sentence.

Conclusion/transition - reasserts your topic sentence and thesis. 
ex. People who are flirtatious often engage banter as Kate and Petruchio do here. This pair is clearly flirting. 

Literary Response 

For practice, consider how to tackle some of these types of questions:
 Questions may ask you to discuss,

- Character 
- Conflict
- Contrast 
- Imagery
- Theme 
- Irony
- Setting
- Tone 

When you are given a question, ask yourself, "What am I being asked to consider here?" From there you can begin to strategize about how to proceed.

I sincerely hope that the above information will be helpful and will be used.

With regard,
Ms.S